December 9, 2008

Report Writer SOP Document Mods

OK boys and girls, I'm writing this so you don't go down the same path I thought I was going to have to. I was modifying some SOP documents for a client today, including the SOP Short Invoice, SOP Blank Quote, SOP Blank Order, and SOP Blank Return, cleaning up someone else's work. My task was to perform some additional mods on these forms and complete the customization of the Blank History Invoice form, which my predecessor had started. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Invoice & History Invoice forms, you can't use the Short form for one and the Blank form for the other. The SOP Document settings require you to select either Blank, Short, Long, or Other. In other words, if you use the Short Invoice form, you have to use the Short History Invoice form.

There were a ton of mods already completed on the Short Invoice form so I was looking at having to create the Short History Invoice form from scratch - not a cheery prospect by any means. I was lamenting this with our friend Mariano and lo and behold - he had the solution! This was one of those 'been there, done that' scenarios for him. He explained a way to copy the existing Short Invoice form, rename it, and use it for the Short History Invoice form. Thirty minutes later - I was done!!

In a nutshell, you export the form you want to copy, open the package file in Notepad, make a few changes, rename the form, save it and re-import it to GP. Thanks to my buddy I'm writing this blog tonight instead of pulling out my non-existent hair with Report Writer! I'll let my man explain in detail how to do this. Mariano, you have the floor . . .

4 comments:

Anthony Walsh said...

Hey Frank,

I followed your steps and it worked great for me!! In this case you save my customer hours of RW insanity. Thanks to you and Mariano for taking the time to research and figure this one out!!

AW

Frank Hamelly said...

Glad it worked well for you Anthony! Pass it on . . .

Faisal said...

Frank, i have created a new form out of SOP Short Invoice Form and saved it as Modified SOP Invoice Form and imported into the report writer and modified it, now i want to print it through GP2010 to see how it look and feel with the data but through SOP Transaction screen i am not able to print it as i already have other forms linked to Short, Long, Blank and Other type formats.

Is there any way out without removing the SOP Short Invoice Form to print the newly created Modified SOP Short Invoice Form through the SOP transaction entry screen?

Frank Hamelly said...

Faisal, I would import the report to a separate GP workstation where you don't need all versions of the form and test it there.